Samsung has recently launched the latest version of its much popular Android tablet – The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. The massive sized tablet (10 Inches) is powered by Ice Cream Sandwich and can be easily upgraded to the latest Jelly Bean. Since I own this beauty personally, I can assure you that this device is so powerful and vibrant that it will not leave your hands and eyes for a single second.
The gaming and movie watching experience provided by this tab fulfilled my motive of investing my hard-earned money in a tablet. Although it reduces your mobility a bit (thanks to its massive size), this is a piece of technology which is a big time attention seeker and an envy inductor (winks). Coming back to rooting, the following tutorial is one of the easiest methods to gain the super-user access on this device and harness all its resources for even more hardcore gaming experience. Before we proceed, I would recommend you to go through all the cautions and warnings once again which are as follows:
- Rooting voids any official guarantee or warranty you may have with your device.
- If not done correctly, you may end up with a 10 inched paper weight (bricked phone).
- Neither I nor anyone else on this site can be held responsible for any damage that may occur to your phone by the following process or any other process on this website.
Let’s get started
- Create A Backup
Backup all the important information in your tablet to prevent any data loss at the later stage. Please note that if you do not backup the data now, you may lose it forever. Even if you confident with your rooting skills, it is still recommended to make a backup of all sensitive information.
- Gather Resources
To begin with the rooting process, get the following files:
- Root Package for your Tab 2
A small Google query will help you find both the things easily.
Lets Create Something Better
- After you have downloaded the above two packages, extract them in different folders. We will first need to run Odin. Go to the Odin folder and double-click to execute it.
- You will be shown a few options and buttons. Click on PDA and select the Root File you just extracted. The file has an extension .tar.md5.
- Now you need to reboot the device. Switch it off normally but while turning it on, you must press the power button and the volume down button simultaneously. This will open a boot/download menu.
- Connect your device to the computer through USB and uncheck the reparation box if it is checked.
- The Final Part
Now press the Start button on screen and the rooting process will start. Just sit down calmly and think about all the things that you could now do with your Tab 2 10.1 while Odin is doing its work. Within a couple of minutes, your newly Rooted phone will be ready to roll. You should not be able to see a super-user icon in the app drawer that will allow you to take complete control over your phone.
How To Flash a Custom ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Flashing a custom rom on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is a piece of cake. Even a novice can accomplish this task easily. To start with, we first need a good rom that we can flash on our Tab 2. Head to Google and search for a good custom rom. Once you have decided which rom you want to install, download it and copy it to your device. After you have copied the rom on the device (in phone memory or SD Card), switch off your phone and follow the instructions below:
- Switch on your tablet by pressing the Volume Down button and Power button together.
- From the menu being displayed, select Install from SD Card and navigate to the custom rom we have copied to the device in the above steps. Select install and then confirm to start the installation.
- It will hardly take 3 minutes to install the new rom. Once installed, go back and then select the option – Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Once done, restart your phone normally.
Once the phone reboots, wait for a few minutes as the phone needs time to configure the new rom and hence makes the phone a bit laggy in the beginning. In a minute or two, your tablet will be ready with a new custom rom. Feel free to contribute to the article and make it easier for people around the world.